About the society
The Glamorgan History Society was
founded in 1950 with the aim of promoting and encouraging the study of
the history of the old county of Glamorgan. Originally named the
Glamorgan Local History Society, it adopted its present title in 1966.
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in the history of
Glamorgan and the wider history of Wales.
From its earliest beginnings, the Society has encouraged original
research by professional and amateur historians alike. The results often provide the main feature articles in Morgannwg, the Society's journal. Published every year since 1957, Morgannwg
has earned a reputation for a consistently high standard of
scholarship, and it continues to attract contributions from well-known
national and local historians. In addition to its main articles, the
journal also highlights recent archaeological investigations in
Glamorgan and keeps its readers up to date with news from the record
offices in Cardiff and Swansea.
The highlight of the Society's calendar is the annual Autumn Day School
which is held in November. The day's programme is organised around a
set theme, with a series of lectures by experts on the subject.
Bookstalls provide a wide range of recent publications from various
local history societies and publishers.